Customized Medicines

Customized Medicines
Dr. Sonja O'Bryan, Pharm.D., ABAAHP Board Certified Health Practitioner Diplomate-American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine: "Creative Medicines" for Hormones-Weight-Pain-Fatigue-Skin Diseases-Pediatrics-Autoimmune Disorders-Veterinary Needs. Using Complimentary, Integrative, Regenerative, Bio-Identical, and Lifestyle Medicine For Health and Healing.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My 2 cents on The Dr. Oz show

I received the news on Friday, through a national networking forum that I participate in, that Dr. Oz would be doing a show on reducing stubborn belly fat through the use of a product called DHEA.  Fortunately, I was able to watch the show yesterday, and today I want to just give my 2 cents on this topic.  Thank you to all who have sent FB messages, texts, and made phone calls surrounding the information given on the show.  Your questions are always welcomed.

DHEA is a steroid hormone (key point) secreted in greater quantity by the adrenal glands than any other adrenal steroid.  For many years, scientists assumed that DHEA served as a reservoir for the body to provide other hormones such as estrogen and testosterone.  But recent findings indicate that higher levels of DHEA  are associated with increased longevity, prevention of heart disease and cancer, and as you heard yesterday, weight control. 

Here's just a few things I want you to know before you go out and purchase DHEA for your bulging waist line.
1. DHEA is a hormone.  (remember key point)
2.  DHEA can turn into other hormones which may already be high.  Another key point!
3. 7-keto DHEA is structurally different (hence the name, and the one that the show mentioned), but the dosing is higher than I have seen patients be able to tolerate throughout my years of doing this.
4.  I think testing is critical.  Just going out and buying magic products that affect hormone producing glands is NOT good medicine.
5.  Saliva testing is a great way to look at your adrenal markers.  The cost to do a good hormone panel is $120-$240 depending on what problems you are experiencing. I can help guide you through that process. The testing is something you can do from the convenience of your own home. 
6. I do have many patients on DHEA therapy, but I customize it in the lab according to their deficiencies.  Sometimes I recommend over the counter versions when no concerns prohibit doing that. I use pure 100% pharmaceutical grade product purchased from an FDA approved supplier and by prescription. 

I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information, but I do want you to know additional facts that the show did not present.  The waves of treatments, cures, lotions, and potions have been many throughout the years.  I'm excited that the national media is bringing these alternative treatments to light, but as a healthcare professional, I want to go the extra mile and keep my circle of clients informed. So there you go! 

My two cents,
Dr. Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment