Customized Medicines

Customized Medicines
Dr. Sonja O'Bryan, Pharm.D., ABAAHP Board Certified Health Practitioner Diplomate-American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine: "Creative Medicines" for Hormones-Weight-Pain-Fatigue-Skin Diseases-Pediatrics-Autoimmune Disorders-Veterinary Needs. Using Complimentary, Integrative, Regenerative, Bio-Identical, and Lifestyle Medicine For Health and Healing.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Weight Loss and Hormones-Suzanne Somers Weighs In

Why Bioidentical Hormones Are Best

When I hit my 40s, I had three years of frustrating, unexplained weight gain that no one seemed to understand. “It can’t be menopause,” I thought, “I’m only 40! But it sure seems like my thighs are growing.” Come to think of it, once I hit my 40s I wasn’t very interested in sex either. When did that happen? I had always loved it!What did happen when I hit 40? A one-two punch: The changing toxic planet took its toll along with my declining hormones — a lethal combination if you are trying to stay thin. Declines in levels of hormones start early now, often in the mid- to late 30s, with some lucky people making it to their 40s intact. But eventually we all get there. Did I make that connection? No! I suffered through another ten years before I understood; and during three of those years life would be a living hell due to dramatic symptoms of declining hormones. My life now is much different: I’m at a healthy, happy weight. I enjoy a robust sex life. I sleep eight hours nightly. And while I avoid chemicals in my home and eat organic food, none of this good feeling would be possible without natural bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT).
Why bioidenticals? All methods of hormone replacement aren’t created equal — and the most conventional treatments may put you at greater risk for serious health issues down the line. Bioidenticals, which are crafted in the lab from material derived from yam or soy to be as identical as possible to the hormones your own body produces, are often considered the gold standard of treatment explains why it’s the gold standard. Here’s why:
  • Synthetic hormone replacement treatment (standard in the US) may be linked to a cancer risk. Studies showed that women who had received estrogen replacement in the form of Premarin, an estrogen that’s derived from a pregnant horse’s urine (and that is not identical to the estrogen a female body produces), had an increased risk of breast cancer., the study participants were given doses of Premarin, an estrogen that’s derived from a pregnant horse’s urine — and that is not identical to the estrogen a female body produces. Bioidentical estrogen has not been shown to have the same risks as the horse-derived estrogens.
  • Bioidentical hormones can promote weight loss. While standard hormone replacement treatment may actually cause you to gain weight, especially around your abdomen, using bioidenticals may actually help you lose weight.

Dr. Sonja's two cents:

I've seen many patients throughout the years lose weight by just getting their hormones reset.  You can read personal blogs on my page of some of the success stories for yourself. 

We customize Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapies all day, everyday.    After reading this blog and Suzanne's information, you might consider getting your hormones checked if you are nearing the "40 year" dash and have had some weight creeping up on you with no change in your activity level or eating habits.  Getting things evaluated from the inside-out can help you manage the battle of the bulge for the long haul.  It's better to address a few pounds rather than waiting for the problem to go away on it's own.  I promise you, it won't.  Hormone imbalance and weight gain is an issue for both men and women. 

Enjoy your day!

To your good health,
Dr. Sonja
 

1 comment:

  1. i like it <3
    http://weightloss-challenge13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete