Customized Medicines

Customized Medicines
Dr. Sonja O'Bryan, Pharm.D., ABAAHP Board Certified Health Practitioner Diplomate-American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine: "Creative Medicines" for Hormones-Weight-Pain-Fatigue-Skin Diseases-Pediatrics-Autoimmune Disorders-Veterinary Needs. Using Complimentary, Integrative, Regenerative, Bio-Identical, and Lifestyle Medicine For Health and Healing.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Are You Paying Attention?

Throughout the years, I have fielded many questions regarding attention deficit disorder.  It goes without saying that a parent notices particular behavior patterns in their children, but the scary part comes when a medical provider mentions prescription medication for the disorder.  It really almost makes me cringe to say the word disorder, but for purposes of this article, I'm using it as just a term that is widely accepted in the medical community.  I (and others should) realize that these children are very bright individuals and the 'disorder' is really just 'unconventional order' in their mind.  They tend to be stimulated by things that others don't necessarily pay attention to.  I have family members, friends, and personal contacts who have been diagnosed with A.D.D. and I'm suspicious that if my parents had known about it when I was a kid, I probably would have been diagnosed too.  There are various ways that A.D.D. can present itself.  For some, it's just being easily sidetracked or fascinated by something new.  (that's me).  For others, it's sitting still long enough to complete a task.  (that's me)  But usually the biggies that require medical intervention are poor grades, forgetfulness, inattentiveness, and disruptive behavior.  These kids often need help to stay on target in regards to school and homework.

For those parents that are struggling to say yes to prescription medication, I do have an option.  In the store, we carry a multi-ingredient powder-mix drink that has been clinically tested against Ritalin.  Ritalin, methylphenidate, is a stimulant medication used to treat A.D.D. Some of the side effects of Ritalin have parents asking if there is an alternate method to treat and help their kids do better with the things I mentioned above in this article.  This beverage contains neuro-active ingredients such as choline, GABA, phenylalanine, and taurine.  These are all agents that have been linked to better neuropsychological performance.  The clinical study was also placebo-controlled and double blinded (search for information if you are unfamiliar). That just makes for a better study when possible.  The final results showed this:

The nutritional beverage is as effective as methylphenidate on three of the 4 measures tested.  Mean differences suggest that is not only as good, but MORE effective on all three measures.  WOW!!
I have been fortunate to gain feedback from parents who have tried this option in their kids.  I have plenty of adults who use the product as well to stay healthier and more focused in their roles and responsibilities.  I think it's great when a more natural approach can be taken without unwanted side effects. 

I would be happy to discuss this product, study, or provide more information if you have questions.

To your good health,
Dr. Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment