Customized Medicines

Customized Medicines
Dr. Sonja O'Bryan, Pharm.D., ABAAHP Board Certified Health Practitioner Diplomate-American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine: "Creative Medicines" for Hormones-Weight-Pain-Fatigue-Skin Diseases-Pediatrics-Autoimmune Disorders-Veterinary Needs. Using Complimentary, Integrative, Regenerative, Bio-Identical, and Lifestyle Medicine For Health and Healing.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Depo-Provera injections REVEALED!

Today I was doing a review of some of the articles I have captured in my office throughout the years.  I like to revisit my files from time to time, just to stay "current" on both new and old information as a guide to helping people have better health.  Today was no different, except that I read about something that is perhaps considered a popular option for young women TODAY.  There are various forms of birth control on the market, but I couldn't help but highlight one in particular.  This BLOG is not at all intended to be pitched from the "dark" side but simply as a means to make young women aware of what they are putting in their bodies.  In this case, it's what they are having injected into their bodies. 

Depo-Provera has been on the market for a many years now and is often preferred by women seeking birth control because one can have an injection every 3 months instead of having to remember to take "the pill" everyday to prevent pregnancy. And, the bonus seems to be (for young women) that they won't have to have a menstrual cycle each month.  That sounds fantastic to most women, but I believe "nature's way" is that women should have a period each month.  (That's a topic for another BLOG and actually something that I did highlight in my book, Living Hormoniously.)  There is a BIG problem  that many may not be aware of when deciding to use DP.  This is a known fact and can be researched quite easily.  You see, Depo-Provera has a BLACK BOX WARNING on it's labeling because it's known to cause bone loss in women.  The longer the use the more risk of loss.  I've known some young women to be on it for yearssssss....  (gasp!) This bone loss info tidbit is especially true for women who are under 21 years old.  The reason is likely that it reduces natural hormone levels known to build bone density. 

To keep this simple and to honor your time, let me just wrap this up in a quick format so you can understand.  This is a listing of COMMON REACTIONS tied to DP use.  Here goes...

Menstrual irregularities
Weight gain
Abdominal Pain
Decreased sex drive
Acne
Headache
No Menstrual Cycles
Dizziness
Nervousness
Back Pain
Breast Pain
Leg Cramps
Depression
Loss of Hair
Bloating
Nausea
Insomnia
Swelling
Hot Flashes
Vaginitis
Hair growth on the face
Glucose Intolerance

Remember these are listed as COMMON.  The ones listed in the SERIOUS category would make you cringe even more.  Birth control is a huge issue and I have a few (strong) opinions on what options are best for health, but I'll leave you to discuss that with your personal physician.  Today I'm just injecting (no pun intended) some information that I think you should know.

To your good health,
Dr. Sonja

No comments:

Post a Comment